Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Slow and Slower Still

So I have had some potentially funny conversations with Ian lately but nothing to write home (or on a blog) about. Since no one reads this blog, though, I could possibly just make one up and there wouldn't be anyone to question my integrity as a blogger. I'm an honorable man, however, and will refrain from doing this. Just so I have something to talk about, I'll talk about my recent trip to Japan. Recently, I went to Japan. It was very cool. I saw a lot of cool stuff. I met some cool people. I liked the fact that I could get a beer just about anywhere at just about any time of day. I also liked the awesome public transportation and how if I was bored all I had to do was go outside of my hotel and find something to do, which was not hard at all. Even though I was there for a month, I feel like I learned a bit more of Japanese and that was pretty nice. I think my favorite thing to do in Tokyo is to go to a neighborhood you've never been to before (preferably by yourself) and just walk around and find cool shit. Stop into a nomiya, have a beer, talk to people willing to talk to you, etc. Tokyo is a nice city and there are some nice people there. It seems like people are a lot more willing to talk to you once they've got some alcohol in them. I also think that in general there are certain places where you're supposed to talk to strangers and places where you're supposed to mind your own business. I really like that because it seems like all the places where you're supposed to mind your own business, I want to be left alone. Not to say that I wouldn't talk to someone if they talked to me because listening to some Japanese person talk about minute, boring shit is still interesting because they're talking about shit that isn't really minute or boring to me. I talked to my friend's dad a lot about various things. He said that the economy in Japan is rough right now and that there doesn't seem to be a bottom (yikes). The term "no bottom" in relation to the economy is one that made me think a bit. He runs a poultry shop in Tsukiji. He wakes up really early every day to go to work and almost always gets drunk the night before. They seem to be doing alright but I really have no idea, nor do I really want to have an idea because frankly it's none of my business what their financial situation is. Anyhow, I plan on going back soon. I'd like to go in the fall or spring, though, so I can see the parks/Tokyo in general during those seasons. I like summer in Tokyo, though. There's a song by a band called Happy End about summer in Tokyo and listening to it much sums up what it's like. Yeah, really loud cicadas seem annoying at first but after a bit I got used to them and actually liked the sound. Ok, I'll leave this with a song by Happy End. A lonely sounding song:


I think I like the album version better but couldn't find it with minimal effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment